2019 EDGE National Talent Competition
RULES AND REGULATIONS
EDGE National Talent Competition is proud to present the most exciting talent competition for every performer.
Please read the following rules carefully. Failure to abide by the rules could result in disqualification.
ENTRIES WITH PAYMENT IN FULL MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE EDGE TALENT OFFICE 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE COMPEITION DATE. IF ENTRIES AND FULL PAYMENT ARE RECEIVED 45 DAYS PRIOR, A 5% DISCOUNT BASED ON THE STUDIO’S TOTAL WILL BE ISSUED TO THE STUDIO. ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS AFTER THE 30 DAY DEADLINE.
ANY ENTRIES RECEIVED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE COMPETITION DATE ARE SUBJECT TO A 10% LATE FEE, IF ABLE TO BE ADDED TO THE SCHEDULE.
1. GENREAL DIVISIONS
Solo; Duet/Trio; Small Group (4-9 Performers), Large Groups (10-19 Performers), Line (20 or more Performers), **Teacher Feature, Pro/Am, and Parent Division (age 13 & Over Groups Only).
** Teacher Feature, Pro/Am, and Parent Division include but are not limited to:
· Ineligible for High Score Awards.
· No entries will be included in any of the 12 & under divisions.
· If only one entry in any one of the Teacher, Pro/Am, or Parent Divisions it will be for adjudication only.
· A “Teacher” or “Professional” is defined as a person, age 18 or over, who receives any type of compensation, whether it is for teaching, performing, or demonstrating, regardless of how many hours per week are involved. ANY GROUP THAT HAS A PERFORMER THAT MEETS THE ABOVE CRITERIA MUST ENTER THE TEACHER OR PRO/AM DIVISION.
· A “Parent” is defined as a person who is a parent or legal guardian of a student from a submitting studio.
2. TIME LIMITS & MUSIC:
Solos – 3 min.; Solo Fashion Models Only – 1 min. 30 sec.; Duet/Trio – 3 Min.; Small Group – 3 min.; Large Group – 5 min.; Lines – 5 min. (Production - 8 min); Teacher Division – 5 min.; Parent Division – 5 min. Extended time available, for groups only, see fee structure.
NOTE: Overtime will result in the automatic point deduction. 1 point, or fraction thereof, for every 5 seconds overtime.
Each contestant will be required to record their own music on a Flash Drive, individual CD or Full Size Ipod. All music must be recorded at proper speed. There must be only one routine per CD, properly cued at the beginning of the music. For emergency, it is advisable to have a backup CD in your possession. Be certain to mark each CD clearly with the name of routine, age division, entry number and studio name. Ipods need to be clearly labeled with the studio name, address and phone#. All music must be on 1 playlist in numerical order according to Edge Talent Schedule. The playlist should be the studios name and then title of music with entry #.
3. New 3 Divisions FUTURE EDGE NOVICE / ADVANCED EDGE INTERMEDIATE /COMPETITIVE EDGE ELITE:
The Future Edge Novice is for a dancer who takes a maximum of 2 hours of dance per week. It is for the beginner/novice dancer who has not participated in any competitions. It is designed to let the beginner/novice dancers get the feel for competitions, stage performances, judges, and audiences. Performances will be adjudicated, as well as received high score awards within their division. It is NOT mandatory that beginner students enter this level.
The Advanced Edge Intermediate is for a dancer who takes a maximum of 4 hours of dance per week. It is for the intermediate dancer who has not participated in many, if any, competitions. It is designed to let the intermediate dancers get the feel for competitions, stage performances, judges, and audiences. Performances will be adjudicated, as well as received high score awards within their division. It is NOT mandatory that intermediate students enter this level.
The Competitive Edge Elite is open to all performers and will be adjudicated, as well as receive high score awards within their division.
4. PROPER DIVISION ENTRY:
Please be certain that all entries are in the correct division each number is desired to compete.
5. SOLO ENTRIES:
Only 3 solos are permitted to be entered by the same performer.
6. EDGE TALENT reserves the right to adjust the competition schedule as deemed necessary, including but not limited to the addition of competition days/times. Entries will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis, and will be limited depending on the time available at each regional location. EDGE TALENT also reserves the right to move the competition location, if it becomes necessary, due to circumstances beyond its control.
· AGE DIVISIONS:
· Age 4 & under, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20-29 yrs.; 30-39 yrs.; 40-49 yrs.; and 50 yrs. & over.
· ** BE SURE TO LIST ALL AGES AS OF JANUARY 1ST, 2019.
· For Duets/Trios, Groups and Lines the age division is determined by averaging the ages of all members of the group. DO NOT USE DECIMALS, i.e. if an average comes to 10.7 the group will compete in the 10 year old age division.
· In Small Groups and Large Groups ONLY, a dancer may only compete one age group below their competition age. For example: A group’s average age comes to 11.3 and there is one or more 16 year olds in the group, that group must compete in the age 13 division.
· EDGE reserves the right to request proof of age for any performer competing at the competition.
7. PERFORMANCE CATEGORIES:
· Jazz – a routine that utilizes jazz technique such as splits, isolation, leaps, etc.
· Funk/Hip Hop – a dance that consists of the latest street dance style, as seen in current dance videos.
· Folkloric – a routine incorporating ethnic styles of dance such as polkas, hula, Latin dance, etc.
· Drill Team – a group performing military type moves with precision march and may incorporate any type of dance.
· Fashion Model- Must include Runway “T-style” Modeling Technique
o Formal- Any Party Dress or “After 5” attire.
o Sportswear- Casual skirts, pants, etc., select sport, skiing, tennis, etc.
o Swimwear- Any swimwear or swimsuit & cover-up.
· Lyrical – a routine that is performed to the lyrics or mood of the music.
· Modern – a routine containing a contemporary style of dance.
· Contemporary- a routine containing both lyrical and modern movements.
· Musical Theatre – a routine performed to the music of a broadway musical show or movie musical.
· Open - a routine that is a combination of any of the other categories; a routine that does not exactly fit any of the definitions of any other category.
· Pom Pon – a routine combining dance with the use of pom pons for at least 80% of the routine.
· Production – this category pertains to the Line Division ONLY and must have a minimum of 20 performers. The time limit for this category is a minimum of 5 minutes and maximum of 8 minutes.
· Clogging – a routine which uses clogging technique.
· Cheerleading – a routine that has a combination of strong, sharp movements, vocal cheering, and may incorporate any form of dance.
· Acro/Gymnastics – a routine which contains primarily gymnastics tricks, including but not limited to, walkover, front/back limbers, handstands, headstands, cartwheels, etc. There should be a blend of gymnastics and dance.
· Song & Dance – a routine in which the performer(s) combine dancing and singing. The singing may have back up vocal accompaniment only.
· Tap – a routine utilizing tap technique and must be performed with tap shoes only.
· Character – a routine that portrays a character that is easily recognizable, i.e. a cat, dog, a movie or cartoon character.
· Ballet – a routine that consists of classical steps and ballet technique. Ballet shoes ONLY can be worn in this category.
· Pointe – a routine that consists of ballet/pointe technique. Pointe shoes ONLY can be worn in this category.
· Baton – a routine using baton(s) and baton technique.
· Lip Sync – a routine that utilizes pantomime techniques and mimics voices on a pre-recorded tape.
· Vocal – (Solo’s Only) Routine may be any type of vocal presentation. Edge will provide a handheld wireless microphone.
8. JUDGMENT PROTESTS:
If a protest is initiated, it must be signed and submitted in writing to the director within 30 minutes of the incident in question. ONLY a STUDIO DIRECTOR/TEACHER can initiate a protest.
9. All entries must be paid in full upon submission in order to be processed.
10. All entries must be submitted online.
11. The name of a routine may not be the same name as the dance studio.
12. COMPETING AGAINST SELF:
· A solo performer may not compete against him or herself.
· In a Duet/Trio, at least 50% of the performers must be different when competing in the same category.
· It is permissible to compete against yourself in the Groups and Lines Division.
13. Any Regional High Score Winner in the Future Edge Division and/or Competitive Edge Division may not perform the same routine at another EDGE Regional Competition.
14. EDGE TALENT takes pride in the engaging and generally wholesome performances that take place on our stage. Any number that is considered by the judges to be inappropriate in either dance moves, costumes, or music may be ineligible for any High Score Awards and may be cause for point deduction or disqualification.
General props are permitted in any of the performance categories. However, no dangerous props, such as pyrotechnics, knives, swords, etc, are permitted. Please be prepared to clean the stage in a timely manner after a routine, which has left articles on stage, i.e. confetti, feathers, for the safety of all performers. All props must be in place and also removed within 2 minutes of the performance.
16. YOU MUST COMPETE AT THE SCHEDULED DAY AND TIME. NO CHANGES OR EXCEPTIONS WILL BE PERMITTED. You must compete during your awards segment to be eligible for overall awards.
EDGE SPECIAL REGIONAL AWARDS
17. EDGE OVERALL HIGH SCORE AWARDS:
Edge High Score Awards in the Future Edge, Advanced Edge, and Competitive Edge Divisions will be awarded in the 8 and under, 9-12, 13-15, and 16-19 age divisions. This is applicable for solo’s, duet/trios, small groups, large groups, and lines, with the exceptions of the teacher feature and parent divisions. Overall awards will be a combination of all categories of dance excluding tap, see details below. Solos will have a top ten overall lineup and duet/trios and groups will have a top five, unless otherwise determined by competition director.
18. EDGE TAP OVERALL HIGH SCORE AWARDS:
Tap overalls will be a separate lineup if there are 5 or more in the age category for solos, and 3 or more in the age category for duet/trios and groups. If there happens to be less in the category, then they will be combined with all other categories for the overall lineup.
19. EDGE SPECIAL AWARDS (Advanced Edge & Competitive Edge Division):
Competitive Edge Cash Awards:
Solo - $50.00; Duet/Trio - $50.00; Small Group - $100.00; Large Group - $100.00; Line - $125.00. There will be no ties in the special award categories. The judges will be asked to break all ties. All cash prizes will be awarded to the studio in which the winners were entered. Awards are only awarded if there is 3 or more entries in the division.
Advanced Edge Edge Certificates:
Solo - $50.00; Duet/Trio - $50.00; Small Group - $100.00; Large Group - $100.00; Line - $125.00. There will be no ties in the special award categories. The judges will be asked to break all ties. All Edge certificates will be awarded to the studio in which the winners were entered. Awards are only awarded if there is 3 or more entries in the division.
20. If a group loses a performer, regardless of circumstances, which effects in the group’s registration in the originally entered General Division, the group may still compete in the larger division in order to maintain eligibility in that division for Nationals. However, during the regional competition the group will be eligible for adjudication only. All performers will be able to compete at the Nationals. For example, a group of 20 registered as a Line and loses 1 performer the day of the regional competition which would put them in the Large Group Division may still compete as a Line for adjudication only during the regional competition.
21. A performer may only place one time in a Solo High Score Division.
22. EDGE ENTERTAINMENT AWARD:
A plaque will be presented to a Group or Line, which the judges feel, is the most entertaining. This will be awarded to Age 12 & Under and age 13 & Over.
23. EDGE TECHNIQUE AWARD:
A plaque will be presented for the Group or Line chosen by the judges. This will be awarded to Age 12 & Under and age 13 & Over.
24. BEST COSTUME AWARD:
Future Edge Division and Competitive Edge Division routines are automatically entered in the Best Costume Competition without any additional fees. The selection will be made by the judges on overall creativity and design.
A plaque will be presented for the Group or Line chosen by the judges. This will be awarded to Age 12 & Under and age 13 & Over.
25. PHOTOGENIC AWARD:
Any performer in the competition may opt to become a contestant for the most photogenic award through the submission of a photograph to be judged in the 12 & Under and age 13 & Over age divisions. The photo must be one person only – there is no group photogenic award. A plaque will be presented to the contestant scoring the highest score by the judges. Any picture submitted must be 5”x7” or 8”x10”in size. EDGE is not responsible for any pictures submitted or damaged. Pictures will be picked up at end of competition with score sheets.
26. CHOREOGRAPHY AWARD:
This award will be presented to the teacher of the winning School and will be awarded in the 12 & Under and age 13 & Over age divisions.
27. SPORTSMANSHIP BACKSTAGE AWARD:
This award will be selected by our Backstage Manager to the studio who shows the most spirit and sportsmanship backstage during the competition regardless of whether or not the competing number is from their studio. This award will be presented to only one studio.
28. TITLE DIVISION (Competitive Level Only):
At each regional and championship competition, EDGE TALENT will be selecting title winners in the following divisions:
· Junior Miss EDGE & Junior Mr. EDGE Ages 8 and Under
· Pre-Teen Miss EDGE & Pre-Teen Mr. EDGE Ages 9-12
· Teen Miss EDGE & Teen Mr. EDGE Ages 13-15
· Miss EDGE & Mr. EDGE Ages 16-19
Each winner in each title division will receive a title trophy. Contestants will be judged for title separately but at the same time as his/her solo. The judges discuss their choices for title and select the winner. Title winner is not based on their overall performance score. A title winner may not compete for the same title at another EDGE Regional competition in the same competition year.
29. AWARDS Adjudicated (FUTURE EDGE, Advanced Edge & Competitive EDGE Divisions):
Each entry in its respective division will be judged on a point system. A Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver, or Bronze will be awarded based on how each soloist or group scored within their division/category. In addition, a first place plaque will be awarded to the routine scoring the highest in each age division and category. If there is only one entry in a division or category, a plaque will be awarded if that entry receives a Gold or higher.
30. A tentative time schedule will be emailed to all studios approximately 10 days prior to the competition date for review, followed by a final schedule. EDGE TALENT does not have a general schedule used at all of our regional competitions. Each regional schedule is based solely upon the total number of entries for that competition date and location. No time requests will be accepted.
31. EDGE TALENT does run the competition according to the assigned entry number, however each entry must be prepared to compete 1 hour prior to the given time during their age and category division. This is necessary to prevent delays in the competition due to costume changes and other unforeseen events. ** If you determine that there is not enough time in between numbers to change costumes, the Backstage Manager MUST be notified immediately.
32. A $30.00 charge for all checks returned by the bank to EDGE will be assessed to the check writer. All returned checks must be made good, including the $30.00 charge, within 10 days. EDGE TALENT reserves the right to request all future payments be made by money order, cashiers check, or credit card from anyone whose check is dishonored.
33. All entries received within 30 days of the competition date, must be paid by money order or cashiers check and include the 10% late fee.
34. A Preliminary competition may be held at our Nationals for any routine needing to qualify for the Edge National Competition or Video qualification, accompanied by the appropriate regional entry fees, may be submitted in order to qualify for the EDGE National Competition. Routines will be adjudicated only.
35. NO CASH REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR ANY REASON.
36. EDGE TALENT, affiliates and the hosting venue are not responsible for any injury or property damage/loss that is suffered by anyone attending or participating in the competition.
37. Sportsmanlike behavior is expected from all EDGE TALENT participants, teachers, families, and all others in attendance. Failure to comply with this may result in a participant(s) or studio’s disqualification.
38. VIDEO & PHOTOGRAPHY:
· VIDEOTAPING IS NOT PERMITTED. In order to protect a teachers’ choreography, no personal video camera are permitted in the competition room. If a video camera is found EDGE TALENT reserves the right to confiscate the video media and disqualify the act.
· EDGE TALENT will provide the opportunity for each participant to purchase a video of his/her own solo performance(s). Group routine videos may be purchased if the order form is accompanied with an official signature from the teacher representing that group’s studio.
· PHOTOGRAPHY: ABSOLUTELY NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY IS PERMITTED.
39. EDGE TALENT RELEASE AGREEMENT:
Your attendance and/or participation in an Edge event constitutes your approval for the uncompensated use of any photo or video image taken during the event in Edge literature, website or in connection with any other Edge event. Edge is not responsible for personal items. Edge will not become involved in disputes concerning choreography, rights to performance, costuming, etc. By submitting entries you confirm you own, or have secured the rights to, all elements in the performance. Submission of entries also constitutes the following: You agree to release and hereby indemnify Edge Talent Competition, LLC and their agents from any and all contracts, claims, suits, actions, liabilities, and/or injuries arising as a result of participation in a Edge Talent Competition, LLC event. You further release Edge Talent Competition, LLC and their agents from responsibility for any and all loss or damage, court costs, legal fees and/or medical fees. All activities are at your own risk.